Wednesday, July 30

A Little More Grateful

During our last trip to the library all three girls gravitated to the pull-apart sofa chairs in the Young Adult section. So while they couldn't decide whether or not they wanted to be on them or off them, I gazed nostalgically at the titles I loved just a decade and a half ago. (When I put it that way, I don't feel quite as immature telling you this next part.) I came across "Little House on the Prairie" and two of my other "Little" favorites and checked them out.

Laura Ingalls Wilder was born in 1867. She wrote her first published book when she was 65, and lived until 1957, after witnessing the success of her writing.

Over Christmas vacation I read one of her books- I think "Little House in the Big Woods"- and fell in love with them all over again. (I actually cried while reading Laura's thoughts on the founding of the United States.) Stuffed with Christmas food and chocolate, I felt so grateful and aware of what I take for granted, reading how, after missing it all winter, fresh fruit and meat were practically treated as delicacies. But what really draws me to her beautiful writing is between the experiences- the picture she illustrates of the love she and her family had for all good things and for each other. It's wholesomeness really resonates with me.

I just started re-reading "Prairie," and just can't believe that this woman is writing from actual experiences. They leave forever their extended family on the East coast simply because "Pa" likes it better where there aren't as many people. Sell their property, pack everything they own "except the beds and table and chairs... because Pa could always make new ones," into their wagon and head out. Just like that.

It sticks in my head all day as I'm sweeping the linoleum on my kitchen floor. Loading dishes into a dishwasher and walking away. Turning the TV off and cringing at how loudly Mia objects. Trying to keep up with piles and piles of laundry that I didn't have to sew or wash myself. But mostly, I just feel kind of grateful. I squish my babies and smooch their chubby cheeks and agree with Laura.


"I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

6 comments:

Ally said...

Love this. :-)

I have always loved the Little House on the Prairie books. I loved the shows way back then, and I always watch the re-runs even now, over and over and over again.

Simplifying is something I'm trying to do here. Not only because of the pain factor, but it just makes my mind and spirit feel better - not doing unnecessary things. Trying to spend more time with the children and enjoying their presence, and also Hubby. ;-)

Life is so convenient these days. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's better, eh?

Great post!

Duncan said...

The Little House books are classics meant to be enjoyed at any age. My kids love them. They have the whole series on CD and listen to them every evening before bed. Next up is the Anne of Green Gables series. I remember reading 3 Anne books when I was recovering from getting my tonsils removed. I cried and cried. And forever cherish the memory. I recommend reading the Little House books to your girls. They will love them even if they don't fully understand them.

Marsie Pants said...

Ha! I know exactly where you were at the library because I've seen those same books and almost checked them out myself. Now I'm going to have to.

The Garber Family said...

I'm taking that quote and going to try to incorporate it into my blog title somehow.

NatRat said...

I LOVE that quote...I hear the "simple things" quotes all the time, but that by far is my favorite.

We still watch "Little House" on a regular basis. Everynight at 6:00. Collin is the one that makes sure we do...I think he loves it more than I.

Erica said...

I've been thinking of reading those to my boys ^_^. I still love those books. (although as a young girl "These Happy Golden Years" was a personal favorite!)