Sunday, August 3

Twin Daze

We decided to celebrate the specialness of twinhood by driving to Twinsburg for the Twin Days Festival, where everyone else is also celebrating their special twinness.

After driving two and a half hours (two of which were supposed to be nap time, but ended up being story/movie/binki-retrieval time,) we drove past the sign that said "Twin Days- Welcome Twins!" And then, to make it official, Zach chimed in: "I see twiiins." And he was right. There were twins.

They were all dressed exactly alike- many in costume. Many in very skimpy costumes. I immediately felt bad for not having bought matching jeans for our girls. They seemed to be the only slackers that had come in matching shirts only. And to add insult to injury- Anya was the only one with socks on.

We gave $3.00 to some very tan girls named Lindsey and Nicole, who were wearing shorts they couldn't bend in. Zach noted they had nothing but walkie talkies to lend any credibility to their "we own the rights to this highschool parking lot" demeanor. Hmm- maybe next year we'll show up a little earlier with some walkie talkies and skimpy clothes... seems like good money. They waved us past lot after lot until we parked about a half mile away from the shuttle which would then take us to the actual fair. This thing was a bigger deal than I thought. We were pretty excited.

The first thing we did was go to the contest booth. I figured it would be the easiest way to get a photo with a bunch of twins in it. I thought the "1 to 3 year-old least alike females" would be a good one, and we happened to show up just before they went on stage, so we got in line. Zach snapped a few pics and we were ready to go- except we had to wait to be judged. Looking around at the twins who were practically opposites, I knew we didn't stand a chance, even though when you see our girls you wonder if Anya ate the triplet. While we waited the gal next to me asked us to take some pics of her and her girls. I told her I'd e-mail them to her. I put the card with her e-address on it in my back pocket. It isn't there anymore. Sorry lady.
If anyone knows this family...



Then we walked past all the booths selling matching everything and found a nifty little park. Which we didn't go to, because Mia wanted to go on the swings on the other side. The babies were really exhausted mellow by then, and were content to watch the fair from afar.



I thought we'd try Mia out on one of the rides we passed coming in, (we have tickets to the Ohio State Fair next week- I wanted to see how she'd do.) So we headed back toward the fair entrance. Mia was excited to go on the spinning ride. She waited in line with the twin kids, completely unaware of her inadequate presence as a singleton. Oh the shame. But it seemed to hit her just as the ride started to spin. She bawled her eyes out.

Maybe she saw all the other kids next to their doubles and realized what an outcast she was. Maybe she thought she was seeing double. At any rate- the ride controller had to stop the ride to let her get out, so the people who deserved to be on it could actually have a good time. Good for you, Mia. You know your place.


So in the end- we drove five hours so Mia could go on some swings. This is definitely going to be a family tradition. For two more years.

10 comments:

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

I'm a stalker! haha!

The Garber Family said...

Pretty amazing to be around so much twin-ness. I bet there were a lot of moms you could commiserate/celebrate with. That probably feels nice...

Melissa said...

I've seen this convention (or ones like it) on television. I always thought, wouldn't it be fun to dress up just like my friend,"pretend" to be twins, and infiltrate the party. But lucky you, you guys are the real deal! Sounds like a fun outing. Good luck at the state fair. My impression is that they take their state fairs very seriously in Ohio. You should be in for an adventure.

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

I think that you and Zach SHOULD wear skimpy clothes and have walkie talkies to get money next year. I'd watch your kids for you if I could take pictures and post them on my blog :o)

Williams Tale Overture said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! Your girls are so cute. I love reading your blog.

Hollie said...

I think Lindsey and Nicole would have a run for their money if Zach showed up next year in his skimpies (sp?). You should give it a try. Oh the joys of having twins.

tiki_lady said...

Gosh, I want twinners!!

Ally said...

Seriously, you're such a great Mom.

I would never THINK to take my twins to a Twin Fest - mostly because, uh, I'm selfish like that, and really don't want to put all the effort into it that it would take.

Kudos!!

Erica said...

I never understood the twin festival thing, but I can understand your Mia feeling left out. I'm a twin with triplet sisters, and the sister after that felt soo left out by it. She really felt that being a singleton was totally unfair. (She eventually got her "twin" when my parents adopted a little girl her age.) Me, I wanted to be a cooler triplet. ^_^

Tonya Staab said...

Isn't the twins festival just amazing. To see so many identical people in the one place, wow. We took the twins there last year and had a blast. We met so many 'interesting' people LOL. I would have loved to go this year too but we are overseas visiting family so I had to miss it :(, maybe next year I'll get back again.