Thursday, March 7

Goodbye, Kaysville!

We found a rental in a beautiful neighborhood in west Kaysville, just in time for the kids to start school only a week late.  As we were moving in, a neighbor apologized for leaving the door wide open.  "Probably let a dozen mosquitoes in!"  Uh-- what?

Mosquitoes.  One day during Bree's second week of school, she got in trouble for falling asleep during class.  How is that even possible, Bree?  She'd been up most of  the previous night scratching mosquito bites.  We asked neighbors how they deal with mosquitoes.  They just go inside when dusk hits.  Like a post-apocalyptic vampire/zombie movie.  My family doesn't just get mosquito bites. We get mosquito welts. We get mosquito lumps. We get mosquito appendages.  We're not staying in west Kaysville, pretty as it may be.

And there are barking dogs surrounding us.  Pull my hair out.



The Mapleton house sold before Christmas.  I was so happy that at least SOMEONE would get to spend Christmas there its first year of existence.

All our left-behind staging furniture moved into our rental with us.  Our search for a new house ramped up considerably.  By Christmas we'd already found our new home.

 I almost didn't bother looking at it. I'd scrolled past it for months. I almost didn't bother showing it to Zach. I don't like wasting his time, and it was so fancy, I thought he'd laugh. We'd just moved out of a brand-new industrial/farmhouse style home, and we were thinking new-builds were more appropriate for a busy surgeon with five kids.  This was a 1991 Southern Plantation-style home in dire need of repairs and remodeling.  And 28-year-old pink carpet.  Surrounding a pink 28-year-old pink toilet.

And it was really REALLY fancy.

A couple of days after I saw it, I decided to see if Zach wanted to check it out, just because it had so many of the things that we were looking for.  As we were driving away I couldn't believe my ears when he said he thought we'd be crazy not to buy it.

We closed on March 6.  We've got our work cut out for us.






No comments: